Are you vicariously living through me in the hope that my accomplishments will validate your mediocre life and in some way compensate for all of the opportnunities you botched?

Thursday, June 02, 2005

it's all about $

I had a bad day.

Been spending the whole day doing boring admin stuffs. Stuffs that one can do with one eye closed and one hemisphere of brain being inactive.

Thought of catching up on my anime but comp died on me. Cpu fan died and system will shut down due to overheating. Anyway, comp had been acting strange for the past few months, been postponing upgrading due to money constraint. Guess if you have to spend, you had to spend.

How nice.

Why do you have to die during the great Singapore sale?!?!?!?

Trouble don’t come alone.

I wanted to make my taxi claims online but I’d forgotten the password. As a result, my account got locked up.

How nice.

My money luck must be damm suai today.

My friend who’s in the MLM line called me.

hey, let’s meet up. Are you free this Friday or Saturday?

This weekend not free, maybe next week lah.

like that huh, are you free next week then?


Alarm sounding. This is not a normal gathering.

let me be frank, I’m not keen on your products. If you are going to sell me your products, I’m not interested. If you just want to have dinner together, I don’t mind meeting you.

He then made his selling pitch. I got irritated. Salespersons must learn to take no for an answer. Hey, even telemarketers stopped their pitch when I expressed that I’m not keen. Why? Just because I’m your friend does not mean you have to push your luck. Just because I attended your presentation does not mean I’m interested in your products.

I swear now, if you going to make another selling pitch to me, I’m going to ostracize you.

Not that he reads this blog anyway…I think.

and the thing that bugged me? After failing his pitch, he never carries out his “invitation” of meeting up for dinner.

What’s wrong with just a simple dinner to catch up on each other’s life? Hey, I rejected your pitch, not the invitation of meeting up.

So much for friendship.

6 comments:

JerL said...

I guess I can understand how you feel. I don't know your friend or how he sounded over the phone, which made you so disappointed in the friendship. Prima facie, I don't agree with the way your friend dealt with this friendship.

But have you ever thought that there may be another side of the coin? Perhaps your friend is having some financial difficulties? Perhaps something drastic happened at home such that he needed to take on this MLM thing to supplement his family's income? If these were true, your friend would also be thinking "The time when I needed support most from my friend so much, he actually rejected me. So much for friendship."

Let me share a true story with you..

There was a guy called RC who bought his favourite box of chocolates before boarding the plane happily and sat down at a window seat.

During the flight, RC felt hungry, took out the box of chocolates. As he opened the box, he notice this Caucasian guy sitting next to him staring at him. As he popped one chocolate into his mouth, the Caucasian reached over, took one chocolate and ate it. As RC took the second chocolate, the Caucasian took a second chocolate too. This went on until the whole box of chocolates were gone.

What is your impression of the Caucasian guy? Rude? Wierd? Nasty? Ill-mannered? Crazy? Or maybe he was simply too hungry? That was what went through RC's mind as well.

Well, let me continue with the story. After RC got off the plane, he felt very dissatisfied. So he decided to go and buy himself another box of his favourite chocolates. And guess what? As RC was about to pay for the chocolates, he found his first box of chocolates still in tact in his bag! Now, what did you think of the Caucasian gentleman? Generous? Cool?

Moral of the story: Do not be too quick to judge a person.

Anonymous said...

Its very simple. If you are in the MLM line, be prepared to be ostracised. At least he din't tell him to fuck off on the first try. A polite no is good enough. Press on, and he brought it upon himself.

I sound rude, but its just a simple rule of respecting every individual's rights.

babysmoke said...

It's harder to be in the MLM line in SG than it is in some other countries. This is due to the perceptions of MLM in general & also alot of the products under DM and MLM aren't of much use but yet cost a fortune.

But I agree that your friend shouldn't have chucked the idea of meeting just to catch up. After all, you're supposed to be friends. If he is this insensitive/"bu hui zuo ren" then he really won't go far in life, let alone in the MLM industry.

Anonymous said...

This past weekend I was attacked by two insurance agents who couldn't take no for an answer too. They chased after me and got in my way, I tried to dodge but they were quicker than me, and I was trying to juggle baby during my attempted escapes. Good thing I didn't fall down.

Sometimes when you reject a person doing sales, it may seem to them like you're rejecting them (the person). Also, sometimes dinner will cost more than what they can earn (off their commission, etc.) to live off of - it's expensive to go out and socialise ya know! I mean, usually people like to go to places with nice ambience instead of a hot, humid, noisy hawker centre to meet up and have a good chat.

sassyjan said...

next time get the free dinner first den erm reject him. HA!

someone said...

free meal? that didn't even cross my mind! i'd always thought we'll be going dutch since it will be just a normal meet up for me. as long as the food or/and companionship is good, anywhere is fine.

MLM is indeed a difficult job in spore which is why i cut him some slack. however, there's a limit to everything (ok, perhaps not men's sexual appetite). i didn't exactly make clear my disdain for MLM during his earlier presentation at his house, so cant really put the blame on him for pushing the luck. as a salesperson, he got to do what he got to do. it's just that i'm bloody pissed off that day hence this post.

anyway, i'm not really that close to him. sure, we'll meet up about once in 6 months but that's about it. i'm not that disappointed :)

Past Posts