Are you vicariously living through me in the hope that my accomplishments will validate your mediocre life and in some way compensate for all of the opportnunities you botched?

Thursday, July 29, 2004

fall in

I went for an army gathering yesterday, meeting some juniors who belonged to the last batch who came in before I ORD.

One of them saw me and shouted “hey, SGT Mak!”.

Boy, I cringed when I heard that.

Back in the army, I was never into the rank thingy…unless you are a newbie. As days turned into weeks, I’m perfectly fine with the newcomers calling me by my surname only.

With my surname, I always had people asking me for an English name. When I reply I don’t use one, they would ALWAYS suggest, “hey, why don’t you take Mark? Then we can call you Mark Mak.”

I heard it so often that I don’t find it funny anymore.

As usual, we had the usual recollection of memories, gossips on the regulars, updates of people we knew.

It was a night well spent.

No comments:

Past Posts